Contact:

Contact:

Friday, March 26, 2010

My Visit to the UK

Before the turn of the last century my grandparents emigrated from the UK to Canada then the States. Growing up hearing the many family stories of our connection to England, in particular Canning Town and the East End, there grew within me a great desire to visit the UK and 'take in' something of the culture within which my fore-bearers lived and served.

Not long ago, my desire was realized when my children gave me a trip to London for my birthday. What a wonderful experience to visit this great city and it's environs, the East End and so many of the landmarks England has become known for.

To find my way down Whitechapel Rd. where The Salvation Army had it's beginnings was an inspiration. After all, I come from a Salvationist family. My great grandmother Ransom first came to the Lord and the Army in this neighborhood before moving to the West End in 1884. I felt a real connection to my surroundings as I imagined what life might have been like so long ago. I felt very much at home. I hope to return some day soon to spend a little more time in these surroundings if circumstances allow.

It occurs to me that, if such a visit to the 'homeland' can be so inspiring and moving, how much more so will be the great 'homecoming' we all will experience when entering the gates of heaven. To say that we will feel a connection and feel very much at home is an understatement, for there our Father waits for us and will greet us and we will sit at His feet for all eternity.

Well, I am not sure which of these two journey's will come next, but I anxiously await them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble with your comment being accepted, use the 'anonymous' category. If you wish, you can then add your name at the end of your comment in the comment box.