Contact:

Contact:

Friday, September 24, 2010

Journey to the Center of the Soul

This next week I have committed to taking a personal inventory. I think I know where I am but I am not always certain of where I am going. My goal is to set aside 4 hours each day for prayer and personal reflection on how my life can improve. I want to discover what changes I can make that will enhance my quality of life and the quality of life of those surrounding me.

Specifically:

1) Set aside some time every day in a comfortable place.
2) Turn your cell phone off if you can.
3) Avoid other distractions.
4) Think on the subject of the day and spend time praying about it.
5) Make a list of all that comes to mind.
6) Review the list and consolidate your thoughts.

MONDAY

How can I improve my quality of physical and emotional health?

Is my diet what it should be? Am I overweight? Do I get enough excercize? Do I have any bad habits that could change? Do I see a doctor regularly?

TUESDAY

What can I do, that I am not already doing, to improve my spiritual life ?

Is my prayer life what it should be? What of my devotional life? Do I recognize opportunities that God sends my way?

WEDNESDAY

How can I improve, and expand, my relationships with others?

Am I always making friends? How do I treat my friends? Do I spend quality time with friends and acquaintances? Am I there when my friends need me?

THURSDAY

Are there ministry opportunities that I am overlooking?

Does my church need volunteers? Am I giving of my time to my churches various ministries? What more can I do?

FRIDAY

Review each of the above to determine if there are other areas to be considered..

Each of the above steps, I believe, should be helpful as I seek to improve who I am. I see it as essential that God's face be sought out in this process of discovery. Ultimately, He has the answers to these questions and more.

It also occurs to me that this type of excercise is useful regardless of what stage of life we are in. I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands. Others time may be more limited. The idea of being introspective is one that serves everyone well and I invite those who read my blog to enter into a similar committment. God will bless it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble with your comment being accepted, use the 'anonymous' category. If you wish, you can then add your name at the end of your comment in the comment box.