Contact:

Contact:

Saturday, February 21, 2015

In Defense of Tradition


In Defense of Tradition
                                               Gary D. Laws

Can you imagine the queens Guard Band marching to Buckingham palace playing a Tommy Dorsey swing arrangement in place of the traditional British March! I would imagine the Brits would go ballistic, if not the Queen herself! But why would this elicit such a negative reaction?
Tradition, of course!

I have stood at the palace in London and watched the Guards approach from the distance, marching down the Mall toward the Palace grounds. Given my British heritage, I found this to be a real thrill, even a 'heart pounding' experience. It was wonderful!

In this modern day and age, I think tradition is getting a bad rap! Those who find it meaningful are often criticized, if not ostracized by friend and foe alike.  Get 'with it' they are told and leave such nonsense behind!

Tradition has become an issue in the Christian Church also, especially as it regards music and the modern forms it has taken amidst the faithful.

I believe everyone should worship in an atmosphere they are comfortable with and if that means the more modern offerings then I say wonderful! However, be careful not to hold the 'traditionalist' in contempt. If the traditional music is meaningful to some (I believe many), then let's encourage those who seek it out.

Being comfortable in the worship setting is a prerequisite for true worship. I believe  that is why many churches are offering two services on Sunday morning, one contemporary and one traditional. Of course, to do this you must have a sufficiently large attendance if you are going to seperate the services.

There is another point that might be made. Rick Warren once wrote, "Show me a radio station with a mixed format and I will show you a radio station bound to fail" His point being that people will listen to one genre' at a time and if you mix them on the same station they will tune out! Traditional and Contemporary in the same service are rarely conducive to growth.

I seek out traditional music because it stirs my soul and brings me closer to God.  It enables me to worship as I should. I don't like being criticized for it.

I also like other worship traditions like special music, the choir, vocal and instrumental soloists and so much more.

For those who seek out the more contemporary, more power to you if that helps you get closer to God! As for me, I seek the traditional. I seek what makes me 'feel good' and I don't apologize for it! I seek to be moved by the Spirit as I sing the traditional hymns....that is what is meaningful to me.

I doubt we will be listening or hearing the Queens Bands playing swing style (on the march) anytime soon. Good for them! I applaud them for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble with your comment being accepted, use the 'anonymous' category. If you wish, you can then add your name at the end of your comment in the comment box.