Contact:

Contact:

Sunday, July 18, 2010

What To Do When Your Body Says 'No'! by Gary Laws

Things are just not the same anymore! There was a time, not long ago, that I was very active, going here and there, doing what I felt God had called me to do. I took great pleasure in being active and 'getting things done'.

My liesure time was spent engaging in activities with my family that were healthy and challenging. For most of my adult years I was filled with energy and it seemed that I could do just about anything, anytime I desired. Those were wonderful days.

Now, however, time has taken it's toll! In my mid sixties I found that I had slowed down considerably. Health issues surfaced that I never thought I would have to deal with. At the age of 61 I had quintuple bypass surgery. Now, three years later I still have not fully recovered. I have little energy and I have discovered that I am only a shadow of what I once was. More and more, by body is telling me 'no', you cannot do this anymore!

So, what do I do now? Do I just sit around and wait for the inevitable? Am I to be satisfied with a more sedentary lifestyle with restricted activity, destined to be home 24/7? I don't think so! Not yet, anyway.

While my activities have been modified so as to conform to my health realities, I believe there is still much for me to do.



First, I must realize that a change in behavior may be necessary if I am to be used of God in the days ahead. This will begin with 'taking care of what is left'!

I have a wonderful doctor. When I see him in the office he is very attentive and seems to care about my physical and emotional health. Given my new realities, he always gives helpful advice and prescribes just the medicines I need. However, I must confess that I have not always followed the advice given. I have come to learn that I must take care, in greater measure, to 'what is left'. I am getting better at this.

Second, I must learn to be content with my new lifestyle all the while realizing that there remain many ways for me to be productive. All is not lost simply because I now have limitations. God continues to interact with us and shows us how to remain in His will. Whatever character that new service takes on, we must trust that God will use us in just the way needed and we must be certain that He will keep on enabling us to conform to whatever direction He gives. I am learning to be happy and content, in the midst of my infirmities, because I know that God is in all of this.

Third, I should begin the process of discovering what God would now have me do in the midst of my new situation. Whatever our circumstances, God ALWAYS has something for us to do! We discover this by revisiting the 'old wells'. We must return to the rudimentary search we employed many years ago. We do that by seeking Him out in prayer and immersing ourselves, with new purpose, in His word. We must again become aware of the needs that we discover around us so as to not miss one opportunity that God sends our way. This is a daily excercise! Seek His face, seek His instruction and seek His annointing and you will discover just what it is that God would have you do. His will always takes into account our limitations.

Fourth, I must learn to rejoice and praise God for the new mission He has set me on. Perhaps we are not able to continue doing all that we have done in the past, but we can thank our Lord for what we can do...today!

Indeed, our body may be saying 'no' to the many activities we were once involved in but, still, God will continue to direct our pathss in new and wonderful ways. Offer up prayers of thanksgiving and praise because God is not done with you yet!

2 comments:

  1. I empathize. As I approach retirement only to be more involved in evangelism via the Army Brass Band culture, I fear my body may fail me. Last year's Pasadena Rose Parade, the longest "5 1/2 mile Open Air" in the world may have been my last (20 parades). With His wisdom I look for other ways to promote His message and Glory through my passion, Salvation Army Banding.

    As far as the parade, I seem to not be able to play for very long while marching. Perhaps more personal preparation, i.e exercise may help.

    Last year I felt fine for the first 2 miles. The parade stopped for a half hour. When we stepped off, the bottom of my left sock would move with each step. I hardly made it to the end. There was a JFK coin size blister on the bottom of my foot when we disbanded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble with your comment being accepted, use the 'anonymous' category. If you wish, you can then add your name at the end of your comment in the comment box.